Monday 19 August 2019

First Sketches from 1990

A glimpse at some of my very rudimentary sketches from 1990. This was the year I first grasped a pencil again at the age of 36 after having my efforts at school laughed at by the "teacher" - I use the term loosely. At school I was heavily into Spider-Man and other Marvel comics and tended to draw cartoon-like people with somewhat exaggerated muscles... "Teacher" never showed me how to draw better, he just took a glance and sniggered under his breath.

Anyway, for some reason 20 years later I decided that I was going to have a go again and bought a small sketch pad on holiday on a campsite in Sidmouth. This was the very first effort. It encouraged me to do a few more during that week.

I soon found that trees sort of overwhelmed me. I had no idea how to attempt them so just scribbled a bit. It worked after a fashion and to be honest even now I still use a scribbling technique for trees, though the scribbling is a lot smaller and more densely packed these days. This was only my second sketch in 20 years and I was doing them in plein air - outside... in plain view of everyone. The main object was to get the hell out of there as fast as possible! I'm much more relaxed now.

Anyway I survived the week and then once home started experimenting by drawing from photos. Trees were still an issue and this is an experiment with a different technique. I knew that what I was doing was mainly line drawing and had to find a way to introduce some shading into my sketches.

I'm not sure the technique was all that much better here, but it was a larger (A4) sheet of paper and therefore has more detail. Plus, doing it at home meant I wasn't as much in a hurry to avoid anyone coming to look over my shoulder! The nearest tram seems to have skidded off the rails a little, but hey...

This was whilst I was writing my first (and to date my only) novel, available on Kindle though not yet in paper form. Some day perhaps. Anyway this was an attempt at a scene from chapter two of the book and I think it remains the only sketch to have come out of my imagination rather than an actual scene.

So to go back to Spider-Man for a moment let me just remind teachers that your power over your pupils and students whether great or not still comes with great responsibility. Had I been encouraged I'm not sure where my life might have taken me. I'd probably be a starving artist now instead of happily retired after a rewarding career... This is the first outing for the vast majority of these drawings. I've had almost another 20 years of practicing since and am now almost nearly competent...

Return to Sketching and Artwork Index

2 comments:

  1. They are bloody brilliant. You have a talent and such a shame Mr C was such a bad teacher. Mrs Birtwistle in contrast inspired us, as did Dai Brown so I love Literature and languages but am just adequate at both, whereas your art teacher didn't encourage you but your talent won through. Its interesting to fathom if adversity is actually a driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie - if there's one thing about me it's diverse... :-D xx

      Delete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.