Tuesday 4 September 2007

Sega Basketball

Another in the series of entries about Coin-operated machines from seaside arcades, this was the first machine I saw with the Sega name.

>It came out in the mid 1960s, a green playfield under a clear plastic dome. The playfield was filled with deep craters, each of which had two solenoids capable of throwing the ball resting in the crater upwards and towards one of the two baskets at either end. The craters were all numbered and the player to press the correct button first caused his solenoid to fire and the ball to go off towards his opponent's basket. Only the front row of craters were aimed to actually score - the craters further back just sent the ball bouncing about to fall into a different crater so you had to identify which one and press your numbered button first. It was great fun and my brother Frank and I must have spent a fortune on these machines at 6d (2.5 pence in today's money) a go!

Coin Slot Machines Index

3 comments:

  1. good morning ,my english is very bad, i'm french and i have in my garage the same game sega basketball, i want to know how much can i sell it? for the moment i want to keep it but if someone give me a good price.
    can you tell me please the value of this game. thanks a lot

    adrien lemaitre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour, je me regrette ne sais pas la valeur mais c'était un grand jeu. Je voudrais un moi-même mais je n'ai pas l'espace.

    Hi, I'm afraid I don't know the value but it was a great game. I'd love to have one myself, but don't have the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I am interested in your game, if you want to sell it contact me: robert at mennia dot com (I am from Italy but I can organize shipping)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.