Tuesday 7 August 2007

When The Circus Came To Town

I've had to do a fair bit of restoration on this one!

The photo shows the arrival of the circus in York sometime around 1910 and was sent in by Dilys Wainwright who says;
I found the photo in an old tin box after my mother passed on. The man on horseback matches your request for photos of workers in uniform and I thought you might like to see it.
Well yes, I like it very much, Dilys! Thanks for sending it on.

I once, as a boy, went down to Rochdale Station to watch Billy Smart's Circus arrive by train and it was a thrill to watch the elephants form up and then walk off, each grasping the tail of the one in front with their trunks. They loaded the lions into the backs of wagons and I didn't get to see them but the elephants walked up to Cronkyshaw Common where the circus had its showground. It must have been around 1958-59 I suppose.

So thanks again Dilys, a great photo and a rekindled memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.