Monday 20 August 2007

Tram Lights and Blackpool Memories

Feedback required for another challenge please! An email all the way from France poses a question about the Brush tramcars still in use in Blackpool. Ron Wallman says:

"I am thinking of restarting a model of Blackpool tram 626 that I photographed in 1973. I have tried others but nobody has responded to the question; as to whether the slender green glass panels over the saloon windows were originally lit by the saloon lights on the Brush cars?

"The result would be a green band at night but possibly not well seen due to the internal glare of the car. I need someone who knew these cars and loves Blackpool".

Now then, I think that Ron is referring to the small panels that I have highlighted on the photograph. My answer would be that I can't remember them ever being lit, but do you know better? Complicating the issue, the Brush cars were not the original or only "railcoaches" as this shape of tramcar is officially known. Brush was the make. The 1934 originals were made by English Electric and then there were Vambac variants also. Add a comment or email me. bispham2[at]Hotmail.com

Ron contributes another memory of old Blackpool.

"My uncle was the Punch and Judy man and magician at the Tower for many years calling himself George Wallman. He was there in the sixties and seventies. He caused panic as he normally did a patter trying to wake Punch up and finally went into the booth to push him up. His wife, Betty, was a school teacher so she followed him to the Tower later in the season. George started his patter and to the extreme shock of stage hands Punch answered in his unmistakable voice with George still outside! Betty was in the booth!"

A wonderfully humorous and human story Ron, thanks for sharing it!

Return to Blackpool Tram and Bus Index Page

2 comments:

  1. Dear John,

    That business of Brush trams having green lights is correct. I have received a shot of 298 at Crich from Phillip Higgs (Lancastrian transport group) and there is no doubt the saloon lights were housed in casings and did show green to the outside.


    Many thanks for your help and interest.

    [Added by John Burke from an email]

    ReplyDelete
  2. George Wallman was my Uncle sadly I never got to meet him. From Daughter Julie Wallman my Father was Colin Wallman Brother of George Wallman,

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.