Tuesday 19 June 2007

For the Record

I've always loved music ever since I can remember.

The first records I remember were "78s", 10 or 12 inch bits of shellac, far more breakable than vinyl, sit on one and that's the end of it! Rock and Roll had already started but was frowned at by the Establishment. Elvis, even Cliff, were thought bad influences on teenagers.

I still love to see 78s spinning round so fast that the design of the label blurs and shifts. Buying equipment to play them on these days can be expensive although a few cheap "retro" record players have come out recently. They don't do the sound many favours though! Playing 78s through a proper Hi-Fi amplifier and you go "Wow!"

More about them in later posts - or if you can't wait try my web pages on 78rpm Records and Record Labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.