Saturday 4 April 2009

Truvox Radio Jack

Doing a bit of rummaging - you can't beat a good rummage - and found this!

It's a radio believe it or not. Capable of receiving anything up to 2 stations - you click the switch - it dates from the 1950s I believe and was given to me by my grandfather sometime around 1962. You plugged it into the microphone socket of an amplifier or a tape recorder and it had two small screws on the rear to tune each of the radio stations. You attached a long piece of wire to the screw on the top to act as an aerial.

I've never managed to get it to work, but it would never cope anyway with the many radio stations we have now, crammed into small frequency ranges. It would probably pick up 6 at once even if I could get it to work!

Return to Technology Index Page

4 comments:

  1. How very quaint but very clever!
    I'm surprised you're not a member of the Wyre Archaeology.
    Or are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayne,

    No I can't claim to be a member - perhaps because of my, until now, total ignorance of their existence. But please don't take that to heart as a quick look at the blog you link above gave an impression of a fun attitude to archeology right up my street. Well, to be fair, you don't actually mention my street and when I was digging my garden the only thing of antiquity I found was an old ink bottle for a dipping pen but that's more than I was expecting!

    Work and the band don't leave me a great deal of time for other organised or regular pasttimes but you never know...!

    Thanks for getting in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is it worth much? i have an identical one

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid I have no idea how much it might be worth.

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.