Wednesday 13 August 2008

Web Sites Gone Permanently

The other day I mentioned that some of my web sites were down and it now looks as though it's a permanent thing.

Orange had sent out notifications in July but, as they say in their response to my plea for help, I might not have received them "due to a restrictive spam filter". Does that mean any spam filter, Mr Orange or just those that are worth switching on? Or perhaps you don't consider news about the pending disappearance of web sites important enough to send notification in a way you know has a good chance of reaching your intended recipients?

Grrr!

Anyway I have rehashed the main web index quite drastically and a lot of older pages have disappeared. I'll try to add some of them back in the form of sets of photos at Flickr but don't hold your breath.

Also if you do visit the web sites often please make sure you have bookmarked the Flickr site and this blog as the longevity of the main website must be in question - freeserve was bought out by Wanadoo long ago and in turn they were bought out by Orange a couple of years ago.

So if the main site disappears - please let me know as they probably won't have told me in a way that I'll get to know...

The future's bright... but not "bright" as in clever...

2 comments:

  1. John, you may be able to grab some of your pages back using the Internet Archive. Try this link -

    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.bispham2.freeserve.co.uk/

    It doesn't store all images, but you should retrieve some

    cheers,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les,

    Thanks for the comment. I have all the images and text on my hard drive but am not inclined to start looking for more free webspace that will disappear at some point again. I used to get around 20-50 emails a day about the websites but there's so many pages on the Internet these days that feedback has dried to a trickle (suggesting that visits have too).

    I stuck a couple of counters on my main home page and the Blackpool home page last month - they clock up around 9 visits per day. The old MySite pages that Orange inherited from Wanadoo and Freeserve had a minimum of pop-ups and banners but if I look elsewhere it's hard to get a page to look as I would want it. The few pages at Tripod are a good example of lots of wrap-around unwanted advertising.

    The blog gets around 20-40 page views a day so I'll keep that going and the Flicker site gets anywhere up to 500 views per day so that's the way I'm thinking of going. My problem is that all the images I had from 2000-2004 (ie the early days of digital) are small. Many were saved only at 320x240.

    I suspect that the main home page - being a "freeserve" URL has only a limited amount of time to exist!

    My main gripe was with the way they let people know - a way they knew wouldn't reach many of us.

    ---------

    Les Cotton is another Fylde Coast musician! See his website!

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.