Wednesday 10 October 2007

Dan Dare

The other day I mentioned my old Bayko building toy.

Today the nostalgia spyglass turns onto the Dan Dare Planet Gun! Actually this was just a differently branded version of the Merit Planet Gun, which had a much plainer box. I'm afraid I was too young to tell you whether it cost any more for the Dan Dare version!

The spinners had to be loaded into the front of the gun and then twisted to a maximum of 8 clicks. Pressing the trigger then spun the discs which zoomed off towards... er... well in the case of my brother Frank and I, they zoomed off towards each other!

Dan Dare was the space hero who was the main character in the comic Eagle. The Mekon, pictured on this page, was the leader of the Treens and came from Venus.

Dan's batman was Digby, who provided the humour element in the stories. They flew in the Anastasia, Dan's space ship.

Dan Dare was extremely popular for many years and quite a range of toys came out with a Dan Dare brand. This is just one that I've managed to find an image of!

In the end both Frank and I couldn't resist clicking more than the prescribed 8 clicks in an attempt to send the discs further and we broke the springs in the guns. Oops...

Return to Toys Index Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.