Wednesday 3 October 2007

Cleveleys Correction

On one of the pages on my Blackpool Webs Site I show this photograph described as "The Orion Cinema, now a Bingo Club".

I had an email from Hector Hill of Settle in Yorkshire which said:

"I have stumbled across your Cleveleys web page. My parents, sisters and I used to stay with my aunt at Bispham Road which, in those days, looked across open land to the rear of what is now the Orion.

"It never was the Orion cinema. It was an Odeon cinema which was acquired (in the 1960s ?) by Mildred Crossley who ran summer shows (Happiness Ahead) at the Queens Theatre on the prom (up Victoria Road and turn left along the prom past some old properties). The art deco Queens was demolished and Mildred renamed the Odeon as the Orion. After operating as a theatre it became the Orion bingo.

"At the top of Victoria Road in what is now a children's fun fair and built into the sea wall was the Arena, an open air theatre which hosted the Arena Follies in the summer. It was run, latterly, by Alex Munro, father of actress Janet Munro. There was no entrance free to the Arena. The performers took it in turn to go around collecting contributions.

"Ah, memories !"
I'm happy to set the record straight!

The children's fun fair and Arena Theatre have now disappeared under tons of rubble and gravel as part of the work on the Cleveleys new promenade and sea defences.

For years the fun fair had been under threat but it has now sadly gone.

The Cleveleys Promenade now though looks superb. A gradely place to take your fish and chips and stare out to sea!

4 comments:

  1. I worked at the arena in the early 50's when my uncle Jack Howarth managed the Follies. I ushered people to their deck chairs or rather harder wooden cheaper seats for which they paid about 3pence. The collection by the artistes was taken around the wall where people had not paid for a seat. We stacked the deckchairs after every performance to keep the rain off. Charlie Parsons was the star and other names I remember were Eddie Stacey and Mabel Dare. The dressing rooms are now buried in the new promenade which looks rather splendid. I now live in Northampton and miss the seaside terribly. Simon Blackamore. scblackamore@tiscali.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first visited Cleveleys in the pram in 1936 with Mum and Dad,.and later when Dad was in the Army.
    Mum and I continued our visits up to 1945.and we always stayed with a Mr & Mrs Baxter on Alleback Road
    I remember the Follies very well and the superb entertainment they provided.
    I enjoyed the Fun Fair especially the Helter- Skelter where I took many a tumble.
    There was a big Theatre at the top of Alleback Road where we went to see shows, I think it was called the Oxford.
    During the war when food was on ration we took our own and Mrs Baxter and her daughters prepared it for us.
    In later years I went back there, but Mum and Dad continued to go for as long as I can remember..
    I will always have fond memories of Cleveleys and the great times I had.there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please has anyone got any photos of The Cleveleys Hotel Victoria Road I can't find any at all .tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If "Unknown" would care to leave some contact details he or she might have more chance? :-) Also, from what time period? Best regards, John

      Delete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.