Wednesday 15 February 2023

Glastonbury Fright

Thursday 14 July 2005. I'm in Glastonbury. It's later afternoon, starting to go dark and I'm at Weston-Super-Mare for a workshop on the following day.

I walked up towards the Tor but it was a bit too far away and if I had gone it would have been dark before I'd have got down again.

The path was steep in places and wasn't always as well-defined as this. To be honest, I wasn't even sure this was the right path, though it was going in the right direction... up...

This is as far as I got. I had no torch to come back in the dark and there was no lighting and the path led through some thick undergrowth.

Going back down was to get more exciting though not necessarily for the right reasons...

I retraced my steps and as I came down the narrow steep path, some animal snarled as I passed. I've no idea what it was but it sounded exactly like a large cat (as in leopard not a big tabby!) and I was somewhat nervous as I carried on! I still don't know what it was. I don't know what noise a badger might make - or even whether badgers might have a go at you if you stray to close to their sett, but it certainly wasn't anything as small as a hedgehog and I've never heard any domestic animal make a noise like that. Was the Beast of Bodmin on its holidays perhaps?

Return to Work Index

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.