Saturday 15 April 2023

A Mystery Stone Circle

Thursday 10 August 1989. Here's a mystery that I'm hoping someone can clear up for me - I know... I shouldn't have spilt it in the first place, but no - this mystery is of the stone circle variety.

On the previous day I had gone off exploring various stone circles, standing stones and cromlechs and had met up with a couple at the Merry Maidens stone circle near Penzance who were explaining the theories behind ley lines. I'd had a go with some dowsing rods and found that I could make them work (I would be subjected to much family scoffing whenever I tried to demonstrate).

Anyway, today we came across a stone circle I had never visited before and when I looked at my map which normally gives the name of anything like this all I read was "stone circle".

So here's the mystery and the question for my readers - if I get an answer I'll update this article: does anyone know exactly where this circle is? As far as I can remember we were travelling from Newquay to Polperro on this day, whether on our way there or during the return journey I'm not sure. But if it was during the return we may have detoured away from a straight road back. And what is the name of this circle? It's been puzzling me for 34 years now!

Anyway - I bet you can all guess where we are going for the next article, can't you?

Return to Cornwall 1989 Index Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.