Wednesday 7 April 2010

Snow On Them Thar Hills!

At the end of last week I found myself travelling up to Edinburgh, to run a Project Management workshop to one of the local education institutions.

There had been snow up in Edinburgh. Flipping heck, there had been snow in Blackpool! In April!

In Blackpool of course, it was 5 minutes in the air and then after an hour all traces of it had disappeared, but up in Scotland there were all sorts of problems. I was on the train, however rather than driving up so I set off wondering whether I would see any snow or whether, as has happened so many times, it would be all "further up" and I'd be disappointed.

I wasn't disappointed. Up to Carlisle I'd not seen any white stuff at all and then settled my nose into a book. By the time I looked up again it was to behold a totally winter landscape of unbroken white fields and full raging streams and rivers.

Even looking down from the train window the rails beside our train were invisible - there were just lines cut like a white gorge into the snow! It looked wonderful - it always does from comparitive warmth and comfort...!

By the time I got to Edinburgh, the city itself was snow-free, though as this view shows, taken early the following morning, the hills around Edinburgh bore evidence that there had been quite a bit of the white stuff!

After just one day, as I travelled back down to Blackpool, the once white fields were now patched with random white splotches amongst the green. My nose went back to my book...

Return to Work Index

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could visit a winter snow scape again, for just a few moments. As you said, it looks fantastic from a warm comfortable place!

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.