Sunday 24 January 2010

Michael Portillo Takes The Train

I'm a bit late with this one admittedly, but it's nice to see that ex-Thatcher Minister, Michael Portillo, has obviously been reading back entries of this blog and has decided to do a Great Train Journeys programme on the TV.

The half hour instalments have been fascinating and have been strung together on the back of Bradshaw's Guide the first comprehensive railways guide and timetable from Victorian days.

Each programme sees Michael trying to be jolly as he visits (to my mind) a few too many places on each programme and it would be better with a bit more time spent on each perhaps.

His is an interesting style, but he seems to come across as a little out of place and I can't help but suspect Michael Palin would have been a better Michael P to have been chosen as host... He's not a light-hearted sort and when he meets someone who is, there seems to be a little nervous laugh and he moves swiftly on!

But the programme is interesting enough for me to have recorded the series and there have been some wonderful eccentrics along the way. He even came here to Blackpool - and got to sit on the Tower Wurlitzer as it disappeared into the pit beneath the stage! The programme covering the Settle to Carlisle route was wonderful though and more relevant for him as he was the Minister who persuaded Maggie Thatcher not to allow British Rail to close the line.

It could grow on me if he allows himself to lighten up.

2 comments:

  1. I've watched most of them, and many are recorded. I noticed that when on the Paignton to Kingweir line (that Katie and I have also been on) the loco miraculously kept changing between a small tank engine, at the front of the train but pulling in reverse, and a large express loco facing the correct way LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I haven't got to that one yet! I'll watch out for it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.