Thursday 21 May 2009

Whoopsie in Cavtat...

Saturday, 2 May 2009. The coach arrived in Cavtat and we got out en masse, stretched our legs, wandered into the road and generally annoyed folk on scooters, in cars etc. What is it with tourists that they think because they are on holiday the rest of the world should stop as well - until they want something in a shop...

Our guide led us off away from the beautiful bay with its bobbing boats and at first I thought "Huh?" but then it quickly became apparent that Cavtat occupies a narrow strip of land between the sea and a large inlet bay and it was literally only a minute or so before we reached the sea front on the other side.

We were booked into a local place for a drink and had only about ten minutes before we were due there. We had a wander about up the waterfront - and I found the only example we saw of dog poo. Quite clever really... the odds were enormous... as was the pile of dog poo... So I spent the ten minutes with wrinkled nose, cleaning my shoe with tissues...

But for this one spot - spot?!? It must have been almost a mountain, how did I ever fail to see it until... Anyway, but for this one trap left by an obviously rebellious dog, the place was spotless. I put the shoe back on and walked through every puddle I could find, scraped my shoe against any edge of kerb or paving stone and feeling reasonably confident that I wasn't about to mess up everywhere I trod, we went for the drinks which were being served outdoors in a courtyard across the street from the cafe bar.

There were drink and nibbles. We didn't bother with the nibbles but I did go into the main tavern to visit the loo and it had a nice rough welcoming mat outside. I was fairly sure that my shoe was now free from any odious material, but the mat was a bit of added reassurance...

Following the tavern visit we took a stroll along the marble surface of the Promenade pausing only to eavesdrop on a boat owner who was taking umbrage at the charges for mooring his yacht alongside. He had two choices and he chose to sail off to try his luck a few yards further up the coast...

We walked most of the length of the short peninsula and I sat in the sunshine to sketch the tip of it, which curved to form the bay. A few people stopped to watch before making comments in Croatian like "That's the pillock that spread that dog dirt all over the place..."

On the way back towards the coach we had a look in a couple of shops and then met up with everyone else to mill about in the middle of the road until the courier shooed us onto the coach.

Return to Gateways and Gondolas Cruise Index

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.