Friday 21 June 2024

A 1930s Courtship

We are heading back almost 100 years for this blog entry, to a collection of photographs from the late 1920s to the 1930s. They come from the collection of my maternal grandparents, Frank and Eva Metcalfe whose romance led to marriage.

12 July 1932 was the date of their matrimonial joining. The bridesmaids are Frank's sisters, Nora and Muriel. Groomsman, Cecil Mercer, Eva's step-brother is on the left and Best Man was Ivan Taylor. Eva's step-father is on the right.

Most of these photographs have been scanned from the tiny enprints held in a photograh album of the time. Some of them showed signs of much wear and tear. I've done my best!

They show a loving relationship between Frank and Eva that lasted until 1971 when Eva passed away at the age of 65 having developed multiple sclerosis which over a very short time robbed her of mobility, speech and the ability to swallow.

This and the previous photograph were taken at one of their favourite places, the Promenade lake at St Annes, near Blackpool.

Frank's parents, Frank senior who I remember as my only great-grandfather still living during my lifetime and his wife, Anne-Marie, who I never knew.

Eva's family, my Great-Grandmother Eleanor Mercer and her second husband Mr Mercer, whose forename I don't know. My Gt-Grandfather was called Holcroft - again I don't know his forename.

Oy! Will you two stop flirting and pay attention to the camera?!?

Return to Family Memories, Relatives and Ancestors

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.