Friday 1 August 2008

Vanished Blackpool - Space Tower

There are lots of photographs in my collection of things that no longer exist. Even were I to limit the photographs to my home town of Blackpool, there are still lots of photos showing things that are no longer there.

This photo showing the Space Tower at the Pleasure Beach is one such. It opened as a new ride in 1974, a 160 feet high column with a slowly spinning pod that rose to the top, spun round a couple of times and came down again. It stood next to the Watson Road junction with the Promenade and for around 20 years was a landmark of the Pleasure Beach.

It stood in the way of the development of the Pepsi Max Big One in the 1990s and was taken down in 1993 and re-erected in the company's Frontierland park in Morecambe, repainted in green following a sponsorship deal with Polo Mints. That park has since disappeared but the last time I was there, the only thing that still existed to show the park had been there were the sad, neglected remains of the Space Tower. More Vanished Blackpool to come!

Return to Blackpool Pleasure Beach Index Page

7 comments:

  1. Hi John, I've a problem for you. Have you any photos of the Blackpool Pleasure Beach Ghost Train around 1950. It was not on its present site nor was it a two level ride. The Americans only introduced a two level ride around 1953 in the States, the Pretzel Ride. I remember the front Facade which had railway semaphore signals being raised and lowered randomly.
    Regards, Frank Higgins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank, no I'm afraid I haven't. I have a few postcards in my collection but most of my photos are my own and whilst there are a very few from the late 60s-mid 70s we only moved here in 1976. The bit about the railway signals rings a bell in my mind but I can't really visualise it. Best wishes, John

      Delete
  2. Hi John, do you have or know where I can find pictures of the original Space Tower (rather than the Polo reincarnation) as I'm considering a little lego project, many thanks, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've created a new entry today (15 March 2015) with a few more photos James. Good luck with the project!

      Delete
    2. Just found this great blog. Are you still active John, as a few of your pictures are no longer visible? I hope so....

      Delete
    3. Hi James, yes I'm still just about active. If you can email me at bispham2@hotmail.com with the address of any posts missing images I can have a look. Best regards, John

      Delete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.