Friday 14 March 2008

Painted Postcards

I used to make a point of buying postcards everywhere we went and have quite a large collection, but recently I realised the bits of the house we live in have been getting smaller and smaller as shelves surround us and I've cut back a bit!

It didn't help I suppose that some of the collections were of quite large objects such as jukeboxes and pinball machines, but anyway, I digress.

Instead of just buying any old postcard these days I look for something more unusual. Postcards with photographs that I could (and do!) take myself are definitely out and so I look for something like this.

It is one of a set of six (yes, I couldn't resist buying the full set!) of watercolour paintings of Riva del Garda at the top of Lake Garda in Italy. The artist had chosen their viewpoints carefully and they make a really attractive set.

Oops!
Thanks to the anonymous comment for pointing out this is the castle at Sirmione on the southern end of the lake! Have had my glasses changed but must do something about the eyes...

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely picture but it is NOT Riva at the northern end of Lake Garda but Sirmione at the southern end of Lake Garda.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/luca_volpi/362723304/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks anon - I'd assumed it was La Rocca at Riva but if I'd have checked my own photos (blush) it's obviously not!

    John

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.