Saturday 13 October 2007

We Lived At 45 Revolutions Per Minute

The thing about mp3s is that you can't watch them.

You can't even watch a CD on the vast majority of players.

Records you can watch. It's unbelievably satisfying. Plus there's the skill of placing the stylus above the right bit and gently dropping it down with a finger. (Levers are for wimps!)

David, the other week said he had found a second-hand record store that had a sale on so we met up in Blackpool this morning and went to have a look.

We were happily rummaging around, finding stuff and suggesting the other bought it. I felt sure David would want "Donald Where's Your Trousers" by Andy Stewart or "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle of the Road. (I almost bought that myself just for the novelty of playing it to people and saying "Isn't that just awful?!?")

In the end we bought 50 between us which cost us the princely sum of a tenner.

One of the gems was finding this one!

It's the first time I've ever seen this red His Master's Voice cover for a 45rpm record. I've got loads of examples of the cover containing 10" 78rpm records but until this morning I thought the cover had never been made in 7" size. Just goes to show!

The next time I come to restock my jukebox I will be able to stock half of it with records it's never played before!

We're going back soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.