Sunday 14 October 2007

Blackpool Town Centre Rejuvenation

The Council have announced (ages ago actually) that the area from the railway station into town was going to have a massive redevelopment.

It's started by finishing a job that Hitler started in the Second World War. One of his bombers got a bit lost during the blitz on Liverpool and unloaded its bombs over Blackpool, destroying houses in Seed Street. In the event the row of terraced properties was demolished and the area has been in use ever since as a car park. The properties facing, the houses on Buchanan Street, have now been demolished. The plans for the new development as shown in the local paper several months ago looked very grand. There seems little point to me in putting up loads of shops and offices whose rent will eat up every bit of profit - that's the problem with all the market stalls we have in grand buildings like the old Woolworths building Pricebusters etc.

More to come...

Return to Blackpool Town Index Page

3 comments:

  1. brilliant comment, a job that hitler started!! I live in Manchester but grew up in Blackpool, my trips back home I regally visit the center and that area is in dire need to be redeveloped but they have taken ages to get around to starting the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Blackpool during the war and lived at 87 High street(really just over the railine.) I was in bed at the time the bomb dropped on Seed St. (About 10 pm.) I think about 50 people were killed. I never heard it, but my grandfather did. He woke me and we hurried off to the air raid shelter at Talbot Rd bus station.I was about 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in 9 Seed Street in February 1950. I have fond memories of playing on the croft (bomb site). I had a great childhood in Blackpool, walking down Talbot Road to the promenade, looking under the fortune tellers tents and getting into all sorts of mischief in the Golden mile. Those were the days. We emigrated to New Zealand in 1959.

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.