Saturday 18 August 2007

Heysham Curiosities

One of the many web pages from my website(*) is dedicated to Heysham, a village on the edge of Morecambe Bay.

I came across the packet of negatives of the photos I used on it so I've now rescanned all except one which was a bit damaged (looked like either I'd stood on it or the cats had been at it to be honest...).

The photo used here shows a row of six graves that have been cut out of the bedrock of the headland. They date from Dark Age Britain - before the Norman Conquest of 1066.

The page has photos of many other treasures - a Norse hogsback tomb cover, the ruined chapel of St Patrick who landed here on his way to convert the Scots to Christianity, the church of St Peter, built in 976 (no I didn't miss off a figure 1 from the date!). It was built after the Vikings destroyed the smaller chapel.

Why not have a look at the web page? I get many emails from people who assume I live in Heysham, but I was just there as a day tripper.

The page has been very successful - a search in Google for "John Burke's Heysham" turns up over 100 web sites that have linked to it!

(*) The website mentioned is no longer active

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.