Tuesday 31 July 2007

Put A Tiger In Your Tank

Aha! See! Some people are reading this!

James Burdon writes:
I can't find any photos of garage forecourt attendants, but you might like the attached scans of an old advert and an Esso petrol pump. It's a long time since they looked like this!

I worked in a petrol station aged 16 and it reminded me of it when I saw your reference to Red-Ex!
(on my Nostalgia web site - John) I found your blog and enjoyed it. People take themselves too seriously these days.

Keep up the good work.
James Burdon
I'll try, James! Thanks a bundle for the pix, I remember Esso Blobs too - heads like oil droplets, and after the Tiger In Your Tank campaign came out they started selling "tiger tails" you could hang round your petrol filler cap so it looked like it was coming out of the tank!

4 comments:

  1. Is THAT what that was? A few days ago, while filling up my car, I was standing holding the pump nozzle and noticed a car driving by with this piece of "tiger fur" stuck around the petrol cap. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what it could be or how it got there. Showing my [lack of] age, I suppose --- guess someone revived the tiger tail idea then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The campaign in the UK must have been late 1960s or early 1970s I would think, so if you saw one recently someone either kept it a long time or Canada ran the campaign much later.

    "Lack of age" ha ha ha!!! Oops, that's me in trouble! Anyone thinking I'm being totally insensitive to a stranger though should look for blog entries labelled "Ladies Over The Water"...

    I'm really only being totally insensitive to someone I know and like!!!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading through the blog entries and the old Esso song came into my mind - so sing along folks!

    The Esso sign means happy motoring
    The Esso sign means happy motoring
    The Esso sign means happy motoring
    Call at the Esso sign
    For Esso (Extra or Golden - depending on your choice!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have coins with "put a tiger in your tank"on them. they are the size of 10c Australian coin & gold in colour, my dad owned a golden flease petrol station, the coins came from him. i was wondering what they are worth? they are in good condition.

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be passed by moderator before appearing on this post.